How the blog entries should be read

How the blog entries should be read
How to read the entries

Notice about Layout

The internet is a volatile technical space and changed immensely since the blog started in 2014 and some browser/device combinations now disrupt the layout of this blog. The data sequence is Burial/Memorial Location, followed by the Names. There is a blank space placed after the last name for clarity - but this doesn't work reliably anymore. The image above shows you how to to read entries in this blog

Sunday 30 September 2018

The alias problem (thanks to Alan Cossey for prompting this)

My fellow UK Access User Group member and friend Alan wrote to me yesterday having spotted a duplicate in 23rd September 1918's post. There were 2 Serjeants, 4732 - one Tinsdale, and one Tyndall.

It is not surprising that records from 100 years ago might be imprecise or inaccurate.  In this case, it set me thinking.  I don't know why all the duplicates exist in the database.  But I had decided to keep both in.

The CWGC record at his record declares that his true family name was TINSDALE - but notes on this record that he served as H Tyndale, but whether that was deliberate or accidental on his part I don't know.  If you click through to the original IWGC records you can see the same fact noted there.

So to be safe, all the Alias records (4,729 of them) remain in this blog.  In that way a) I don't have to investigate further (if it were 10 or so I might have considered it), and b) anyone searching under either his family or serving name will find him.

Thanks Alan, I wouldn't have thought any more about this without your question.

No comments:

Post a Comment